for everyone sewing, some tasks pose certain difficulties that can be easily avoided. Of course with aided knowledge. As much as you Learn, keep learning, it’s the only solution that never runs out. Recently, taking our students through the lessons on presser feet made some see a new side to sewing projects.
Sewing can be made easier. That’s the good news.
The job of the presser foot on your sewing machine is to hold the fabric against the feed dogs ( the plate that keeps the fabric pushing forward against the sewing machine, that part that looks like it has teeth, where your machine clamps down your fabric. Gotten? 👌👍) and guide it in a straight line as you sew.
That’s why you have to raise the presser foot each time to move your fabric from under the needle. You can definitely do a lot of sewing with the standard foot your sewing machine came with, most people do almost everything with that. However, some techniques or projects can be made easier with the help of the various presser feet we have available around. It’s very helpful to know he these magic little helpers can make your work seem easier.
Those little specialty feet can work wonders.
Sewing machine feet come in various designs. Knowing and picking the right one for the job makes more professional looking results on your sewing projects.
The price range, brand and model of your sewing machine determines the set of feet you can work with. Your sewing machine may not come with any extra set, you can definitely get them at online stores as our local market may have limited offers. Your presser feet set could either be the basic or the deluxe set. The higher the brand of your sewing machine the more different they look. Note that some of these presser feet works with double sewing machine while some can work with either. The big industrial sewing machines have their sets as well. Ensure you are buying the set your sewing machine needs. Don’t put round pegs in square holes. Before buying any specialty foot, know the brand and model of the sewing machine you are working with.
The Favourite of All – THE ALL PURPOSE FOOT
- Also called the Standard Foot or Zig Zag Foot, this is the presser foot you find on your sewing machine at the time of purchase. It can be used for general sewing – straight sewing, zig zag stitches and some decorative stitches. It comes in either metal or plastic feel.
- THE ZIPPER FOOT
- Zipper Foot is used for fixing zippers. But it does a bit more than that. It can be used when you want to do close or tight sewing like piping, because of its ability to pin down and see close to targeted spots.
This foot is useful when you are sewing slippery fabrics or when you want to sew multiple layers of fabrics without shifting. It comes in different mm widths depending on the sewing machine brand and model. And note that these feet are definitely detachable.
THE BUTTON HOLE FOOT
- As the name implies, this foot is used to make buttonholes to the exact size needed for the project or garment being worked on. To use, place the button in the Button space on the foot, the machine thus uses the foot as the measurement gauge and creates the perfect sized buttonhole to fit the button set in.
THE BUTTON SEWING FOOT
This sounds strange to many always. Can a button be sewn with sewing machine? Definitely Yes. The Button Sewing Foot fixes buttons and saves you the needle finger pricking sessions. ( I like the sound of this…..👌) this foot has a bar on the base for extra stability, and mostly has a rubber covering to help grip the button as it sews, metal covering may glide the button off. But as good as it sounds, technology has only solved it for the flat buttons. It can work when fixing flat buttons; not for buttons with shank back. Before you use this foot, you will need to adjust your stitch guide and set it to the hole space on the buttons. Sounds great ✋🏼.
THE GATHERING FOOT
- The Gathering Foot helps you make those gathers on your fabrics. The base of the foot is specially designed to feed the fabric to gathers as you stitch on, creating gathered edges as you sew. The fullness of the gathers is determined by the number you set the stitch guide to, the longer the stitch the more gathers.
THE BLIND HEM FOOT
- A blind hem foot is just as its name sounds. It makes hidden hems. Hems with stitches one can barely notice. This is good for garment hems and anywhere you want that neatly finished edge looking clean. The Blind Hem Foot comes with a metal guide in the middle of it, as you sew, the fabric fold will rest against the guide to maintain accurate seams . This foot also has grooves on the bottom, which grip your fabric to prevent it slipping off as you sew. Who doesn’t want to have a clean finished work?, we all want that crisp looking finish. This is the way to go.
THE OVEREDGE FOOT
- This can as well be called the Overcasting Foot or Overlocking foot, this foot helps you finish the edge of fabric so it won’t fray or pull out threads, just like the finished edge a serger (overlocking machine) does. The foot must be used with the Overcast Stitch on your sewing machine. There is a stitch pattern on your double machine that looks like the overlocking stitch, use this when using this foot.
THE RIBBON OR SEQUINS FOOT
- Yes you can definitely Insert that thin ribbon or string sequins through the guide on this foot, and they will feed through as you sew.
THE BEADING FOOT
- We all know that sewing strings of beads and pearls to garments takes a long time. Using this Beading Foot, you definitely can attach long strands in seconds. This foot is popular among couturier, bridal and evening wear designers, as well as crafts designers. This foot comes in different versions for large and small beads. Master it and just bead on ✂️✂️✂️✂️
Some of these feet have different stitch settings they can work with on your sewing machine There are more feet to discover , let’s peg it here for now to allow you digest these ones and find ways to use and maximize them for your projects super efficiency. If you have anyone that has the old singer machine box with spare parts , this box contains some presser feet that may be applicable to your project, if it can match your brand of sewing machine.
Discover more in your sewing projects and do more wonders as your SEW ……
Sewing Mends The Soul….. 👗👖📍
Ibadancity Fashion College is the leading fashion school in Oyo State Nigeria and one of the leading in Nigeria. A standard fashion college aimed at teaching fashion and relative courses with standards that can be seen in fashion schools internationally.
Skill Acquisition is the means to ending unemployment and raising the economic bars of the Nation. We believe in Nigeria.
- 🌍 Proudly Nigerian✅
Follow our social media networks – Instagram / Twitter @dgvstyles
Our Facebook pages – DGVSTYLES. DGV FASHION ACADEMY. IBADANCITY FASHION COLLEGE.
WE ARE AT
4,iyalode Crescent. Stadium Estate. Ring road Ibadan. Oyo state.
(Follow the Tarred Road directly opposite KFC/ Chicken Republic on ring road Ibadan. The landmarks will lead you there)
Join our BB Channel – C004D07A2
Or add us on 562DE938 for more updates.