Yes, they are the little important part of your daily sewing activities. Some call it bobbins, some in this part of society call it Reeler; most importantly, you reel thread on it and it delivers the lower thread supply to your sewing project on the sewing machine.
As small as it is, it can cause hitches when sewing. And if you sew constantly, sewing – frustration is one thing you won’t want to like.
Let’s take few tips today on how to make your projects hitch-free as much as possible. Can knowing a little more about your bobbins help? Yes! Every knowledge no matter how small is handy to everyone.
- There are Plastic and Metal bobbins. That it’s beautiful doesn’t mean it’s meant for your sewing machine. Also not that Plastic bobbins and metal bobbins that look like it is of the same size may not work perfectly the same way. Sewing Machines are set for a very precise tension setting. If they are set for a lighter plastic bobbin, the tension will change if a heavier metal bobbin is used. This is what many don’t know.
- Another tip is – those pretty Plastic bobbins can bulge when you fill them with too much tension or when reeled on too tightly. Filling your sewing machine bobbin tightly can make a plastic bobbin bulge. This isn’t something you can gauge or measure how much three you reel on. The issue there is , if your bobbin carries too much thread, it becomes too bulky for the bobbin case, and often causes frustrating hitches when sewing. Like having it stuck or getting messy underneath. It could as well get the under-part of your sewing machine jammed. Don’t rush and put too much than that bobbin can bear on it, thread and tread softly.
- You should only use the bobbins made for your machine. There are those for home sewing machines and industrial sewing machines. The sizes vary. And bobbin cases come in sizes too, if the size doesn’t match the bobbin or the sewing machine, it causes another sewing headache. That’s the more reason you need to keep buying. No one has too much bobbins. It actually makes your job easier. You can reel on enough for a sewing project. Instead of removing the thread to reel on at intervals.
- When your metal bobbin looks like its bending out of shape, change them. They won’t make your sewing fun and easy. The way it’s built to roll inside the case is useful when the edges are smooth.
- You can keep the reeled thread from unrolling by using hair bands like in the picture below to secure them.
Buy more bobbins and remember not all are m ant for your sewing machine. Check and use the right one.
Tips from Principal Instructor – IBADANCITY FASHION COLLEGE.
The leading fashion school in ibadan, oyo state. Nigeria.
Located on ring road Ibadan. Behind IBEDC office (Capital Building) follow the tarred road directly opposite Chicken Republic/KFC ring road Ibadan.
Like our Facebook Pages –IBADANCITY FASHION COLLEGE & DGV FASHION ACADEMY.
follow us on Instagram @dgvstyles
📞 08081067070 (234) 08099012555 (234)